East of Eden – Oregon Wine in Molalla, Canby & Silverton
The Willamette Valley’s East Valley Wine Growers invite you to join them to Vacation on ‘Wine Time.’ Heading south from the Portland area, we take you off-trail to find boutique wineries, bright gardens and great restaurants located in tiny wine towns. Overnight at the much-awaited Oregon Garden Resort, then use that as your base to explore the country roads and flower-filled fields in the Silver Falls and Salem area. The wine trail can easily be explored in the reverse direction. Drink deep!
- St. Josef’s Winery – 28836 S Barlow Rd, Canby – Known for their tremendously fun events as well as their seriously light-hearted approach to creating fine wines, everything from the half-timbered tasting room to the romantic wine cellar invites you to stay a little longer.
- Alexeli Vineyards – 35803 Oregon 213, Molalla – Where else can you find breathtaking views of Mt. Hood, Mt. Jefferson and Mt. St. Helens, all to be enjoyed with a splendid Riesling in hand?
- Vitis Ridge – This small winery has a quaint barn-like facility for tasting their impressive array of varietals. On holiday weekends, expect live music and lively camaraderie.
- Paradis Family Vineyard has earned both Salmon Safe and “LIVE” certification.
- Silver Falls – The Silver Falls tasting room is open Saturday and Sunday 11am-5pm, April through December and by appointment.
- Piluso Vineyard – Each varietal is hand-harvested in small lots, then aged in French oak cooperage until the wine says it’s ready to bottle – usually in 10 – 12 months. This boutique winery with a reputation for a mean Tempranillo.
Flower Farmer 2512 N. Holly, Canby – Train ride through acres of flowers to see the farm animals on this fully operational European-Style Farm. Pick up fresh fruit and veggies at the fruit stand. Select your fresh bouquet from the field. Summer Basil Festival
Swan Island Dahlia Farm 995 NW 22nd Ave, Canby – Open daily August and September. Immerse yourself in blooms and color. The nation’s largest dahlia grower offers over 40 acres of beauty. Annual Dahlia Festival the last weekend in August and Labor Day weekend.
Wooden Shoe Tulip Farm 33814 S Meridian Rd, Woodburn – Walk among a multi-colored tulip field, enjoy the gift shop, tulip café, country store or buy fresh flower bouquets. Tulip Fest open March 28 through May 4, 9a-6p daily. In the fall, it’s Pumpkin Fest with good old-fashioned harvest festival and pumpkin patch. Open Sept 27 –Nov 2, 10a-6p daily.
The Oregon Garden 879 W Main St, Silverton – an 80-acre botanical sanctuary featuring 20 specialty gardens. You’ll discover waterfalls, quiet ponds, fountains, a unique display of conifers, the 400-year old Signature Oak, a Northwest Garden, beautiful vistas, art and a Pet Friendly Garden. The Children’s Garden is complete with an in-ground Hobbit house.
Barn Owl Nursery – 22999 Peters Rd, Wilsonville – Find over 100 different types of lavender, and get expert advice on growing and using lavender and herbs. Open Fri-Sun, 10a–5p and by appt., May–July 27 & Nov 1–Dec 14.
Oregon Garden Resort – A 103-room garden theme hotel located adjacent to The Oregon Garden. Take advantage of innovative, high-value packages such as “Wine and Jazz Festival package”, “Girlfriend Getaway”, and diverse “Spa Escapes.”
Prairie House Inn 524 E Main St, Molalla – Built in 1900 and lovingly restored to its original detail, this home was the first one in Molalla to have water and electricity. Each of the six bedrooms has been tastefully decorated to reflect Molalla’s colorful history
The Grand Hotel in Salem – formerly the Phoenix Grand Hotel. Features 193 over-sized guest rooms and suites.
Pudding River Chocolates – The quaint town of Canby boasts a top-notch chocolatier that also offers lunch, dinner, weekly cocktails and baked desserts most days.
Picnic at St. Josef’s – Throughout April and much of May, St. Josef’s grounds are open on a daily basis for picnicking and the tasting room is open for quaffing. During summer months, enjoy your picnic pond-side while listening to live music during special weekend events.
- Beginning April 15: It’s asparagus time in Mount Angel!
- Nothing heralds the fact that spring has arrived like asparagus. All throughout Germany it is celebrated at every meal. At the Glockenspiel we have a variety of special recipes featuring locally grown asparagus to delight you, known as Spargelzeit. Güten Appetit!